Wednesday, December 5, 2007

This is your brain unplugged.



As we reach the end of the year, I'm beginning to think about how much if anything has changed since the end of last year. Physically, probably not much. However, my attitude is different, at least a little bit. I think I've become a little bit more accepting of who I am and what my body is. So in that way I'm definitely healthier. I have also totally cut out artificial sweetener and soft drinks. The only thing I have any more that qualifies as pop is club soda and that's occasionally. It is now basically water and tea for me with a glass of milk from time-to-time.

As for eating, in our house we now eat much more local food than we did in the past and I made it to the farmer's market almost every weekend of the season, except when I was out of town. I tried new vegetables. I found a local source of flour and bake almost exclusively (when possible) with at least half whole wheat flour. I've learned some ways to cut out the yicky processed white sugar and bake often with local honey. I hope and plan to be able to ride my bike to work when the weather turns back around. I really do think about what veggies I can include in my meals. I ate spaghetti squash for the first time. My pumpkin pies this thanksgiving were baked almost exclusively with pumpkin I roasted myself.

I'm still working on being a better eater. But I definitely try more things than I used to (including fish and mussels this year!) I still have a weakness for anything sweet. I also am still looking for physical activities that I enjoy doing. However, I am now a homeowner with my own little plot of land and next spring I will have gardening a plenty.

I am also still working on making time to keep myself in a good headspace with mediation or some other form of mental relaxation. I did keep it going for quite some time, but still struggle. Dustin and I have given up tv for the month of December because we found ourselves relying on it too much for entertainment to the detriment of other things (housework, this blog!, reading, baking, cooking). I've found it incredibly difficult so far. But I would guess by the end of the month, the new year will have us thinking about how much time we really do spend/waste in front of the tv.

Happy Holidays to you and yours and I would imagine that the lack of tv this month will have me back sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

The Baklava Queen said...

Wow! Sounds like you've made some wonderful changes... ones that will last, too, since your attitude has changed along with them. That is a MAJOR accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself.

I suspect you will find (as I did) that each change in your lifestyle opens your eyes to other positive changes you can make, and little by little, you will see a remarkable difference in how you feel about yourself. (You're already on the way!)

It sounds like you're already realizing that the changes you want to make aren't fixed goals but rather moving targets and a lifelong journey... so enjoy the journey! :-)